You must correct the following errors to continue:
- The section CALS100 - 017 (Custom Section# 20221221_01) is currently not available.
Climate change is impacting every sector of society, and there is an urgent need for individuals and organizations to become fully aware of the intensifying risks and take effective action. These impacts present complex challenges to human health, the food supply, the global water cycle, the economy, and transportation. Every effort must be made to minimize our individual and collective effects on the climate and adapt to how a changing climate is affecting us all.
This course provides an overview of climate change science and the impacts of climate change, with particular emphasis on the food system that is so critically important to our survival. In the first part of this course, you will explore the causes of climate change so you can begin to assess how you can help address this grand challenge. You will also evaluate potential impacts posed by climate change on your business, your industry, and you personally, using relevant, science-based evidence from leading experts. Throughout the program, you will identify and use climate change terminology so that you may accurately introduce it into your personal life as well as your organization's daily dialog, culture, planning, and operational decisions. Despite the many challenges posed by climate change you will also discover opportunities.
As your course progresses, you will analyze the risks and opportunities related to the production, transportation, packaging, and sales of your organization's products. If you don’t make a product, you will still benefit from the course. Your classmates hail from all walks of life: education, health, finance, career seekers, and many more. Ultimately, you'll come away better prepared to adapt to and mitigate the impacts of climate change on society and your business — and contribute to potential solutions. You will have the invaluable opportunity to interact with your peers from around the world who are also striving to tackle climate change.
Faculty AuthorMichael Hoffmann and Danielle Eiseman
Benefits to the Learner
- Assess the causes of climate change and its potential impacts on your organization, your occupation, and your personal life
- Improve your ability to talk about climate change and incorporate the language into your daily dialog, culture, and decisions
- Define and analyze risks and opportunities related to the supply chain, including processing, packaging, storage, and transportation
- Gain insight, inspiration, and hope from fellow students
- Organizational decision makers
- Risk and supply chain managers
- Anyone interested in understanding the impacts of climate change and working towards solutions